The big bathroom renovation is finally upon us. We’re planning on swinging the first hammer as soon as we get back from our big Southeast Asia trip. In the meantime, we’re selecting our supplies, calculating costs, and figuring out where the heck we’re going to shower.
Our goal with the bathroom reno is to update the bathroom, but still keep the historical feel it has. That means using traditional materials and preserving the architectural details (like the arch over the shower).
Here’s a little taste of what we’ve got in mind.
1. Our walls will be tiled half way up with simple, clean subway tile, like this from The Tile Shop. We’ll probably go with a light grout to keep thingy bright and airy.
2. The floors are going to be our big splurge; we’re going to be going with Carrara marble hex tile, probably the 2″ size like this from The Tile Shop. I love the classy, old fashioned feel it brings to a space.
3. We’ll go with all new white, fluffy towels. I’ve long been a convert to all white linens and the new bathroom won’t be any exception.
4. In case you’re new around here, I’m obsessed with navy and gray. So like every other room in the Little House, our remodeled bathroom will have to have some navy accents. I’m in love with this navy striped shower curtain from West Elm.
5. The Little House isn’t long on storage, so any extra we can squeeze in will be awesome. I’m loving the old-fashioned simplicity of these medicine cabinets from Home Depot. One for each of us should help us keep our sink clear of the toothbrushes, contact solution, and whatnot that hangs out there now.
6. This is my dream sink. I’m pretty sure that it will neither fit in the room nor in our budget (it comes in at a cool $1500), but if I could have anything I wanted, this would be it. I’ve has serious conversations with myself about DIYing the base out of stainless steel pipe and then having it chromed, but I still haven’t convinced myself.
7. The colors in this room will echo the color scheme throughout the Little House: gray, navy, and white. I’ll probably throw some pops of coral in because I’m daring like that, who knows.
I’m so excited to get started on this project! I’m also scared to death of it. I’ll be the single largest thing the hubs and I have tackled together, so who knows how it’ll end up. We’re definitely going to make sure we have enough saved when we start that if we have to throw in the towel and have the pros come in, we can. That’s not going to happen though. We got this.
I’m working on a week of posts dedicated to how Kevin and I afford and plan our crazy awesome trips around the world. I’d love to address any questions you might have about how we do it, how we pack, or travel in general, so please let me know in the comments below, tweet me (@lilhousebgheart), or email me! Have a fantastic weekend!