On the Threshold

This was the first weekend in I don’t now how long that Kevin and I were actually home to work on the Little House. Lately we’ve been so busy we haven’t had time to take care of our lawn, let alone finish the office reno.  The stars aligned this weekend though and we were able to knock quite a few things off our to-do list.

One of our first to-dos was to install the thresholds on our new office floor. There’s a bit of a height difference between our existing hardwoods and the new tile, so we had to get a threshold designed for just such an instance. We went with oak and stained it to match our existing floors, then measured and cut it to fit our doorways.

Trim ThresholdWhile Kevin was cutting the threshold down to size, I was cleaning up any excess mortar and grout from the threshold. We weren’t the neatest tilers ever, so it took a bit of elbow grease (and a hammer and baby crowbar) to get some of the mortar loose.

Clean up Excess grout and Mortar

We did one last fit check to make sure that the threshold fit our door.

Fit Threshold

Then Kevin nailed ‘er in using our pneumatic nail gun. It’s a small Craftsman Evolv pancake compressor we got as a wedding present (I’m so glad we had a man registry now!).

Nail down Threshold

Last but not least, we countersunk the nail heads.

Countersink

All we need to do now is putty and stain the nail holes and our office floor will be 100% complete!

By the way, we got our new rug this weekend (I’ll post on it later this week). We’re having some problems (or a lot of problems) with the cat sharpening his claws on the rug and pulling great big tufts up out of it. Anyone have any ideas on how to get a cat to stop clawing up a rug? He has a scratching post AND one of those cardboard scratchy boxes.

This entry was posted in Office.

1. Amy says:

We’re in the process of renovating our new house (we haven’t moved in yet thanks to a former owner with a dog that peed everywhere- we have to replace every square inch of the formerly gorgeous hardwood floors) and I bought a new rug myself and am dreading using it because our cat claws everything too. There is a spray available that you spray on upholstry to discourage cats from clawing, but I can’t 100% vouch for it because although it worked a bit, you have to reapply it constantly and our cat still got the armrest of our couch one day…brat. I’ll let you know if I find anything else that works cause I’ll need it too!

I hear ya on the cats and rugs. I watched my parents’ cats (even though 2 are technically mine) and they went to town on our blue rug. After they went back, Joe and I had to be clever and rotate the rug (the worst damage is hidden under the couch).

If you figure out something that works, let me know because I think we’ll be watching them again this year.

3. Jennifer says:

I’ve just heard about the spray mentioned by Amy, haven’t tried it though. I’ve seen calming pheromones, it’s like a glade plugin but it releases calming pheromones that are supposed to help discourage scratching. My mom has a cat with anxiety issues, although he doesn’t scratch, the diffuser works for his anxiety.

My mom puts one of those computer chair floor gliding mats upside down (with the prickly floor grippers) on surfaces she wants to train her cats to stay away from, and removes it once they’re trained… But she’s amazing at training her cats to behave, I’m not as successful. I’ve also used double-stick tape on sofa arms but that would be annoying on carpet. I’ve also seen those claw caps, but I’ve never heard any non-advertising feedback on them.

Let us know what works!

• Jennifer says:

Oh and keep a water bottle nearby to squirt him if you see him do it! He may not associate the discipline with your presence and behave while you’re gone, fearing a water spritz… That sometimes works for us :)

Our main rugs are more of a shag, so they either don’t scratch it or I can’t tell that they do, so I haven’t had to deal with this.

4. Jenn says:

We’re going to have to do this all over when we get walls sorted, we have all kinds of mismatched flooring now. It’s making me mildly crazy, but one thing at a time. You two are my inspiration and motivation! Nice work!

5. Mary says:

Cats scratch carpets because it feels good – so give them a good alternative. I have 3 carpeted boards (this: http://www.omegapaw.com/products/lean-it-anywhere-scratch-post.html) distributed throughout the house, and have very few problems with my cat scratching other things. If I catch her scratching somewhere undesirable, I’ll move one of her scratch boards to that spot. I always lay them flat on the floor, so she frequently sits on it while scratching, similar to how she might scratch the rug. You could probably make one similar with a carpet scrap and a board.