Decisions, Decisions

As we mentioned Monday, we’re tabling the backyard during the most scorching part of summer and moving inside to the air conditioning. We’re going to rip out our old, gross office carpet and lay down some shiny, new tile.

Office Pre Desks

We’ve been spending too much time on the internet looking at tile lately. At the moment, we’re leaning towards a darker tile (mostly to help hide black dog hair and muddy paw prints) in a larger format, probably 12″x24″. For now. That’s subject to change at any time, especially if the dark tile we like clashes with our dark built-in desks.

This is my favorite tile so far. I love how it has the look of slate (but is porcelain) and is a dark moody gray. Its price, on the other hand, is a little higher than we were hoping to go.

The Tile Shop | Burma Negro 12 x 24 in

This tile from Lowes may be a great alternative. It’s also porcelain and has a similar feel to the Tile Shop tile above, but is a third the cost (which would leave us more dinero for the rest of the office).

Lowes | 12x24 inch Galvano Charcoal Glazed Porcelain Floor Tile

I’m also strangely drawn to this honed travertine tile. I love the fossils and think the color would play well with our existing hardwood floors (and I think it would really hide muddy paw prints).

The Tile Shop | Fossil Honed Travertine

Before we make any decisions, we’re going to visit Lowes and the Tile Shop (there’s one open in Dallas now!) to see everything in person.

Which tile is your favorite? Would you go with a dark or light tile? Do you lean more towards natural stone or ceramic/porcelain?

This entry was posted in Office.

1. Kim@Newlywoodwards says:

These look amazing! I really love that top one, but the second is also a great option. I don’t think you can go wrong with the dark tile.

Hey – shoot me an email reply will you? I have something I wanted to share about tile but I don’t want to put it in the comments.

2. Ainhoa says:

I love dark tiled floors! Both the first and second seem similar, at least in the pic, so I’d say go with the cheaper option. Can’t wait to see!

• Jessica Beals says:

If they’re as similar in the picture as they are in person we’ll probably go with the cheaper option just so we have more money to play with in the rest of the remodel.

3. Christine @ Casa says:

Love the dark tile option but worry a bit about it hiding the muddy prints for you. When mud dries it’s always hazy and light and that will definitely show on a dark tile. That being said- they are beautiful!! I’m sure you’ll be able to narrow it down once you see them in person!

4. Amy says:

I love, love, LOVE the first two, but just from second-hand experience, the darker color actually tends to show the muddy paw prints much more than you think it will. Once they dry, the brown stains tend to stick out like a sore thumb. My friend has two large dogs that spend much of their day outside and when they come in on a rainy day, you can see every step the dogs have taken through the house if their paws arent cleaned off very well.

I will say though, for esthetic purposes, it’s gorgeous!

5. Faith@The Stirring Place says:

We have a black lab and a yellow lab so I’m always battling dog hair. For us though, the yellow lab seems to shed so. much. more so I’d go w the lighter one only out of my desire to cover up his lingering fur-dust-bunnies. But That second one sure is gorgeous too…and the price. tough call

• Jessica Beals says:

The room gets tons of light (it’s the brightest in the house), but I was a little afraid of that, too.

We’re going to pick up samples this weekend, I guess we’ll be able to tell better then.

6. Jenn@NearAndFarMontana says:

Oh my goodness, I love the third one!
    In my Virginia townhouse, we had a light tile in the add-on sunroom/mudroom/office/part kitchen and even though we loved it, roommie and I sometimes spent hours scrubbing it thanks to mud from my pupster, who is a ball of black fur and mess. The tile you picked though sort of looks like ours did when it was muddy, so that might work out great!
    I do really like the dark tiles too. Can’t wait to see what you guys decide!

7. Pingback: Tile Shopping
  8. Linda says:

I am in the process of the same decision… Between the same two tiles. Texture is a bit different. As an old potter, it is the grade of clay and firing temperature that is the important part. A tile can be weakened by cheating on either one. Which means chipping and cracking under use. The cheap in me says the cheaper one… More for my money. The longevity in me says otherwise. I have decided to put up with the dog prints!

• Jessica Beals says:

Linda, we went with the cheaper Lowes version and haven’t regretted our decision for an instant. It’s been almost exactly a year since we installed the tile (you can see the finished product here and here) and we haven’t had any issue with chipping, cracking, or showing paw prints. :)

Good luck!