1) Clean up is a breeze! I can hoover pretty much our entire flat from one socket. If people are coming over and the place is a tip, I can get it from chaos to calm in about an hour, tops, including cleaning the kitchen and bathroom.
2) Every corner of our home is filled with something we love. We still have some bits of filler/Ikea furniture, but we have a few pieces that we love love love and the fact our flat is so small means it feels just full of treasured things.
3) Mr V and I are always close. Even if we’re at opposite ends of the flat, we can still talk. I love that. (He doesn’t love it when I follow him into the tiny kitchen and get in his way, but that’s a different story.) Having a small flat means our living room is our TV room, office, sewing room and dining room.We often spend weekend days in the same room working on different things and it’s just lovely and companionable. One day, I’d love to have a sewing room of my own but I’d miss being in the same room all the time.
4) Everything is to hand. It takes a special type of kitchen ballet to make a fancy meal or bake a cake in our kitchen as there is so little counter space, but all the ingredients and all the tools are right within reach. I love getting in there with the door shut, putting the radio on and making things. It feels like my own little world!
6) If you read my blog you’ll be bored of hearing me say this, but honestly what I love most about living small is the opportunities it gives us. Our location is so incredible it makes me want to throw privacy to the wind and hand out my postcode so you could google it! We also have large windows and incredible original features from when the property was built in 1745. These are things we couldn’t afford if we had more space, and they all add up to a home that makes us really, really happy, even if it’s pretty small.
Thanks Jess and Kev! I hope you’re having a wonderful time away and I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say we can’t wait to hear all about it.