The Structure with the Black Lagoon, Part II

Today, I’m thankful for our Sunday School class, the Honeymooners. I don’t know if I’ve ever been part of a more gracious, uplifting, fun bunch of people. They’re wonderful to be around. Did I mention they’re a blast? We feel so blessed to be a part of the class and thankful for everyone that’s in it.

***

Going into our backyard project, we had a clear plan:

1. Tear down the bar.
2. Bust up the concrete.
3. Tear down Structure #2.
4. Bust out the giant dead hot tub.
5. Build new crushed granite patio.
6. Throw big backyard party.

All of this, we figured, would be done in less than a month. Tops. That was March.

This is November. We’ve finished steps 1-3 and this weekend, we started step #4: Bust out the hot tub.

For a quick refresher, when we moved into the Little House, there was a large covered deck in the middle of the yard. Because it cut the yard physically and visually in half, we decided to tear it down.

Three weekends ago, Kevin and I managed to tear down the roof and pillars of the structure, revealing a giant, dead, concrete hot tub concealed under the deck… still filled with green, slimy water.

We were stumped. Stymied. Stuck. How were we going to bust that giant piece of concrete out with just the two of us?

This weekend, our wonderful friends in our Sunday School class, the Honeymooners, came to our rescue. While all the wives went shopping, the husbands showed up at our house, sledgehammers and safety glasses in hand, to help Kevin bust out our very own black lagoon.

Like the small concrete pad that the now destroyed bar had set on, this hot tub could have withstood a hurricane, tornado, and nuclear bomb… all at the same time. It’s walls are more than two feet thick and made up of concrete filled cinder block, complete with enough rebar to build an interstate highway. The guys had a heck of a time breaking it up, but with a little help from our good friend Little Jack, they were able to finally make a dent.

And here’s where we are today:

They managed to get the outer ring of cinder block off most of the structure and the rubble carried out to the growing pile waiting for the city pickup.

It’s a little overwhelming how much is left to do to get this bleepity-bleeping hot tub out of our life forever, but I can’t say how thankful I am for the Honeymooner’s men that came out to help on Saturday!

As someone who dealt with really nasty “water” on a regular basis, you guys are brave for dealing with the black lagoon water! You are making great progress on this project!

2. Krystle @ Color Transformed Family says:

Wow! What a surprise to find that under your deck. I wonder if we have anything like that under ours? Haha! If you had a mosquito problem this Summer it probably won’t be as bad next year.
    There is no question that a guy designed and built that hot tub. It looks like something you would find in ancient Rome! Can’t wait to see how the rest of the project turns out. At least you girls got to have fun shopping.

3. Ave-New says:

My goodness- so glad you had some friends to come help! After my boyfriend’s friends helped us move in August of 2011 I think we wore out our man-help invitation for a few years. Keep up the good work and it will all be worth it!

4. Jennifer @ Brave New Home says:

Hey Jessica and Kevin!

I enjoy your blog and love how it has a little spattering of all sorts of things (like cocktails!). Your home is adorbs and is really coming together.

I wanted to take a moment to nominate you guys for the Liebster Blog Award. For more information/to participate, feel free to check out my blog, bravenewhome.com.

Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Reuben says:

Just out of curiosity, did you get any quotes from a professional that would be able to bring in an excavator and just dig the whole thing out in a couple hours?

No, we didn’t bother. Considering the budget we have for the project, the relative inaccessibility of the back yard, and the fact that we grossly underestimated the ridiculousness of the construction (ie the rebar), we decided that it would be a waste of a contractor’s time to get a quote.

I also had the advantage of having some family members who own an excavation business (in Indiana, alas) that was able to tell me that it would likely be way more than the cost of a few day’s jackhammer rental.