No Spend November

Kevin and I sat down the other night to assess how we’ve done with our budget in October.

Let’s just say it wasn’t pretty, especially in the eating out and entertainment categories.

That’s why we wanted to announce to the world that we will be participating in our very own No Spend November… so you can hold us accountable!

Next month we will not go out to eat, nor will we do any activities that cost money. That means no movies, no concerts, no going out for drinks. It doesn’t mean we’re going to be homebodies. It just means that what we do go out and do will be 100% free.

It’s not going to be easy, but we really feel like we need to learn how to enjoy ourselves for less than we’ve been spending lately.

Do you budget? Have you ever had a no spend month? Do you want to join us?

1. Anne says:

In our budget last month, we spent more on gas than on rent! That was a shocker, but we can’t do much about it.

I love your idea about spending nothing–when my hubs and I do it, even if it’s just for an evening, we usually have just as much fun (if not more) because we get creative and do things we might not normally have thought of at first. I’m looking forward to hearing about how it works out for you… will you do an “in progress” or follow-up post to this? I’m always looking for free things to do. It’s a sickness.

Wow, that’s incredible!

We’ll definitely update now and then on how we’re doing and share what we’ve come up with to do. This weekend is supposed to be chilly, so I see a fire in the fireplace, hot cider, and boardgames!

2. thepinkpolkadotblog says:

I need to do one of these months! Seriously, I busted way through my budget in the last 2 months of clothes (and I can’t stop). I would join you in November, but I’m going to Europe and I know I won’t be able to stick to it. I’m going to shoot for January!

And let us know how it goes with updates. I’d love to read about all of the free stuff you do.

Europe?! That sounds amazing? Where are you going??

We’ve agreed that while we’re traveling the restriction will be lifted (as in when we’re in Florida for his sister’s wedding). Sometimes you can’t help eating out.

Joe and I started up a lunch budget of $40 for the month (and in NYC which is close to impossible). I clearly failed for October but I’m going to try again in November and hopefully do better!

4. Gabbi says:

I totally wish I could take part in this challenge, but I already know about something I’m going to have to buy in November, so I’d be out of it. But we definitely are on a major budget because in the past month, within two weeks of each other, we had to get new tires on my hubby’s car, get his brakes fixed and my car needed work. Let’s just say I almost fell over when I got our credit card bill. So we are in major save mode right now. Good luck! Keep us updated with how you get creative! 🙂

5. Mary says:

I have been toying with this idea as well! I have completely removed any clothing from the budget. Our big areas were entertainment and groceries! ($11/person movies get out of hand!)

6. lyndsay @ that 70s house says:

We’ve never done a full “no-spend” month but we definitely both buckle down following a month with a lot of expenses. We don’t go out to eat since we both love to cook, so spending money out on food is a rarity…which actually saves us a ton of money. Which inevitably ends up going towards house projects :).

7. Katie@Paisley Print Shoes says:

I am looking forward to seeing what kinds of things you guys come up with for things to do!! You can always check at the library for free passes to museums and other local attractions. And you can get movies there, too. Good luck!