Belly Up to the Bar

Well, we said we were going to do it… and we did. The bar is down! If you follow us on Instagram you saw this shot this weekend:

It took several hours, two sledgehammers, some chocolate milk, and a possibly thrown out back to get it down, but what’s left of the hideous backyard bar is now sitting on the curb, waiting for bulk trash pickup later this week.

We took it apart in stages, first removing the faux stone fascia, then taking off the metal lathe and plywood underneath. We salvaged what we could (electrical boxes, outlets, and whatnot), but most of it was done for.

One we got the bar to a certain point, we decided to try and take it all down at once. We did some engineer-y walking around and pointing while muttering words like “pivot point” and “lever arm,” then decided that it would, in fact, fall. So on that engineering analysis Kevin climbed up on a ladder and gave the thing a shove.

It. Was. Awesome. And we got it on video.

NOTE: It looks like the video’s going to play sideways; it’s not. Also, it sounds like I am a 16 year-old girl; I’m not. Even Kevin says I don’t sound like this is real life.

So we might have hit the fence.

And the crepe myrtle.

And we’re pretty sure the crowbar is somewhere still buried under the roof.

All in all, though, we considered it a pretty successful day.

On to structure #2.

What did you do this weekend? Did you have as amazing weather as Dallas this weekend? Anyone else swinging sledgehammers?

Is it weird that I think it looked like fun to knock down the first structure? Either way, I’m glad it came down so easily (although that’s sort of scary, too).

PS – I couldn’t play the video with sound loudly but I don’t think you sound like you’re 16. I sound like I’m 12 so I understand how annoying it is.

2. Brandi @ His Shabby Her Chic says:

Woohoo!! It looks like it was a ton of work to get it to the point of just pushing it down.

I couldn’t watch the video with sound, but I’m sure you don’t sound like a child. And I definitely understand what it’s like to have a juvenile sounding voice. I’m sure the people I speak to on the phone at work think I’m too young to work.

Aw, thanks. At this point, though, I was excited about the thing falling over and taking out the fence, so my voice was a little higher pitched than normal. :)

It was a lot of work, but strangely it was also a lot of fun!

3. Gabbi says:

Wowzers, you guys accomplished a lot! Demo is just so much fun sometimes. And I honestly HATE how I sound on video. I swear, it makes me sound like a man haha.

4. Christine @ Casa-de-Christine says:

Haven’t watched the video yet but I will when I get home so I can benefit from sound! Good for you guys for getting it down! It looks like a TON of work!!

I sound like I’m 12 on video and on the phone. I cringe when I hear myself on the message machine : (

To be fair, there’s chocolate milk involved in almost every project we do.

Something just felt off while we were working though, and we realized… no chocolate milk! So we ran to the store, bought milk, and everything was better.

Go get some milk! I’m sure little Kevin would love some anyway 😉