Blogiversary Week: Getting To Know You

If you haven’t yet, be sure to check out yesterday’s post! Tell us your favorite LHBH post over the last year and you’ll be entered into our drawing for a $50 West Elm gift card!

In case you hadn’t already guessed, it’s our first Blogiversary this week! One year ago this week Kevin and I started Little House. Big Heart. expecting to share the trials and triumphs of renovating our 1940s Dallas cottage with our families across the country. What we didn’t expect was the fun of sharing it with all of you, too! For the last year we’ve been sharing our lives, our home, and our puppies– but we’d like to know more about you!

Please take a few minutes to fill out our reader survey (please, please, please with sugar on top). We promise to keep it short and sweet. Heck, you don’t even have to answer all the questions- or any of them. Just tell us a little about yourselves! If you have anything you don’t want to say in the comment section, please feel free to email us at jessica.m.beals@gmail.com.

LHBH Blogiversary Week 2012 Reader Survey

1. Just who the heck are ya?Β Where are you from? Are you married? How old young are you? Any kids, furry or otherwise? What do you do for a living?
  2. How’d you find us? Google? Another blog? Word of mouth?
  3. Hey Baby, Come Here Often? How often do you drop by LHBH? Are you a once-a-weeker? A at-work-while-I-drink-my-coffee-er? Me too.
  4. What flips your switch? What would you like to see more of? There’s tons of little things we don’t post (like fixing a leaky bathroom sink), but if it’s what you’d like to see, heck, we could take pictures of that.
  5. Don’t do me like that. What doesn’t work for you? Sick of trip photos? Not into recipes? The diamond background making your eyes cross? We can only get better if we know where we’re not quite making grade.
  6. What do you want to be when you grow up? I want to be a celebrity chef/bestselling cookbook author (on how to feed your family for less without serving processed junk food ever). Kevin wants to be a professional vacation critic (and rich, he added).

We’re so excited to get to know you all a little better!

Don’t forget that the House Blogger’s Book Club is meeting for the first time this Friday! I hope you’re enjoying The Friday Night Knitting Club as much as I am! I can’t wait to hear what you thought of it!

1) I’m Kristen, 25, living in Staten Island, NY (a borough of NYC), married, no kids or fur babies
    2) I think you found me first and then I came to visit and have been following ever since!
    3) I’m subscribed on google reader so I stop by whenever there is a new post :)
    4 & 5) I like it all (Clearly because I keep coming back) so just keep doing what you’re doing! I especially love the projects you do around the house and that you’ve started a book club for all of us!
    6) When I grow up, I would like to be an artist who travels the world. Oo-la-la.

2. annabelvita says:

1) I’m Annabel, 27 (how did that happen?), living in England.
    2) I think it was from a comment on another blog!
    3) I’m a google reader subscriber so I read as often as you post!
    4) + 5) I’d like to see more doggy stuff! Everything else is great.
    6) I don’t know, it changes every day. When I was young I wanted to be a shop owner or a novelist. Sometimes I dream of being a midwife? Most of the time I love my job.

The doggies would be happy to oblige! They’re always being naughty or cute or both, so we can definitely fit in a little more about them!

I started this job two weeks ago and it’s the first time I can say I love my job (other than when I taught a 4-year-old ballet class)!

3. Melanie @ Mailbox Journey says:

1. I’m Melanie. From Central, Pennsylvania. I’m in a relationship, not engaged or married. I’m 23. No Kids, 1 Cat. I’m an Administrative Assistant for a Non-Profit Org.
    2. You were one of the first blogs I found when I started blogging, so I have no idea how I found you.
    3. I drop in every once in awhile, but I am subscribed via BlogLovin’.
    4. More about you guys and more projects.
    5. Category drop down menu like your archives one. More outreach. I haven’t seen you guys on Instagram or Twitter, and I haven’t seen a comment from you guys in months. I guess just let us know that you’re still kickin’ πŸ˜›
    6. I wanted to be a web page designer, or own a little bakery, or be a vet or teacher. It changed daily.

Congrats again on the Blogiversary. Mine is in about 20 days. :) I already have my posts all typed up for it, I’m that anxious πŸ˜›

We do need to get out more! With all the travel this spring/summer, both Kevin and I transitioning to new jobs, and life in general, we really need to be more focused!

And when you become a web designer we’ll be your first customers!

4. Staci says:

1. I’m Staci, 24 from central Kansas, but before that, from California! I’m married and have one furry baby, Mosey my Italian greyhound :)
    2. I noticed your recurring comments on Young House Love and thought I’d pop over!
    3. I get my LHBH posts through bloglovin so I come here as often as you update :)
    4. I’m addicted to watching others work on home projects. But I am glad you post a little bit of everything since it’s not really realistic to be constantly overhauling room after room!
    5. I hate critiquing! But since you bring it up the diamond background DOES make my eyes cross… a little… but it’s your blog and you just do your own thang! πŸ˜€
    6. I want to be an interior designer when I grow up!

5. Christine @ Casa-de-Christine says:

1. I’m Christine from Ontario, Canada. I’m 24 but hit the big 25 later this year… I’m married (one of the first times I have typed that!) and have one fur baby Jixer, a 4 year old black lab. I work for a custom cabinetry company- designing and ordering kitchens, bathroom vanities, laundry rooms, etc.
    2. I think I saw you comment on another blog and decided to check you out? Or you came to my blog and commented so I checked you out?
    3. I come here every day monday to friday to see if you have posted… I havent really got into the whole subscribing to websites thing yet…
    4. Love your recipes (always fresh ingredients and they look fabulous!), love your home projects (the console table was great, the backyard plans are exciting!, I’m eagerly awaiting the bedroom reveal), love your trip recaps- I like to see what you can do at various places so I know if I want to visit there myself, and gardening posts (I like that it’s just recaps every once in awhile and I think the tips and feedback are helpful)
    5. I pretty much like all your content. My only feedback would be maybe joining Instagram (I just like to snoop on people that way! lol).
    6. I’m still debating on that. Interior designer, inventor, baker or event planner I think.

CONGRATULATIONS! Your job sounds so fun! We started planning our big bathroom gut last night… we’re stoked!

You’re not the first to say we need to join Instagram… guess we’ll have to break down and set up an account!

6. Lindsay @ Me, Ed and Pea says:

1. Lindsay from Falls Church, VA. Married for just over a year now. 29 yrs old. One mutt named Peanut :) I’m an Admin Specialist at the Dept. of State.
    2. Another blog…not sure which one though!
    3. I’m a follower so I’m here pretty much every day :) Always while I’m at work drinking coffee…and eating lunch…and taking a break…and taking another break.
    4. I’m big on the home improvement DIY stuff so a leaky sink is right up my ally haha. But I also love seeing how other people decorate.
    5. Haven’t found anything I don’t like!
    6. A mom eventually and any profession that does not require me to sit in a gray cubicle for at least 8 hrs a day…. blogging perhaps??

That’s exactly when I blog, too. :)

We can certainly deliver on the leaky sink! Our bathroom flooded while we were getting ready for work yesterday! And being a professional blogger is probably that pie-in-the-sky dream for me, too. Sigh. Maybe someday.

7. Bridget B. says:

Teacher. 24-ish. Engaged. No children; the furry one passed away due to accident. :( Found you through Internet search. Love the DIY, shopping, and crafting advice. Would like more recipes when time allows. :) I always wanted to be a doctor, but I ended up meeting a med student instead. Now I want to be myself, the best version possible. πŸ˜‰

8. Stephanie Phillips says:

1. I’m Stephanie, married mother to two and a half year old identical twin girls. I’m 30 and an office manager, my husband is 34 and teaches art. We live in eastern NC.
    2. I think I probably clicked on one of your comments on YHL or something. That’s how I grew my blog roll.
    3. I read you via google reader, so anytime you post! I read at work all the time. Shh, don’t tell the boss.
    4. All DIY, decor, and home improvement makes me happy. We’ve been fixing up our 1956 ranch since we bought it in April of 2010 and I’ve loved using all the stuff I learn from my blogs in my house.
    5. I thoroughly enjoy reading you! If I ever scan through a post faster, it might be less interesting to me. But it’s not enough for me to even remember when or why or if that has ever happened.
    6. I want to be fat and happy and in my cute little house surrounded by my family and friends. The rest is just gravy.

9. Aryn@Living it up for Less says:

1. I’m Aryn, I currently live in Richmond, Virginia. . .29 (almost 30. . .ACK!), engaged but not married yet. I’ve got a 6 year old son, two dogs (pug and pitbull), and a very old kitty. I’m a Training Specialist with a large regional bank.
    2. I honestly don’t remember how I found you guys! However, I’m really glad that I did!
    3.I subscribe to your posts and get them delivered to me via email which typically leads me to pop into the blog post itself to either read further or comment (which I haven’t been doing much of lately)4.I love your recipes and your posts about new diy home stuff!
    5.Eh. . .I can’t really think of anything. I really enjoy your blog so I don’t really have anything that I’d request you to do differently.
    6.Well, not so much when I “grow up”, but I’d like to get back into my own blog soon. I’m sure that my bloggerversary has passed but I fell off the face of the blogging world back in March and haven’t really returned. I need to. I’m in a much different place than I was then (I was going through some very traumatic stuff a few months ago and just “took a break” and haven’t quite come back online yet). In my “grown up” state, I’d like to eventually open an eating disorders clinic in my homestate (which is not Virginia) but that’s about as lofty a goal as it can get at this point. I’d like to have the flexibility to travel a lot and, like your husband, I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to find myself rich too! :)

10. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication says:

1. I’m Ashley, 23, from Richmond, VA, married with no kids or pets. I’m an administrative assistant aka bored πŸ˜‰
    2. Either from another blog, or you left me a comment so I visited and kept coming back
    3. I follow on Google Reader and since you post almost every day, I visit almost every day :)
    4 & 5. I come back every day so I like what you guys do! Maybe some more info about you guys in your posts? And I’ll go ahead and jump on the Instagram band wagon!
    6. The plan is for me to be a stay-at-home mommy and hopefully a full time blogger (if I’m still into it that many years from now)

Happy Blogiversary! πŸ˜€

So I’m currently at (4:58pm) downloading Instagram on my phone so I can play with it tonight :)

PS. I’m loving your gray/navy/apple color scheme in your bathroom! I have the green/gray thing in the living room right now and am seriously thinking of adding in some navy!

11. Leanne says:

1. I’m Leanne and I just turned 30, have a 6 month old little boy, and am married to a wonderful man. We have a rat terrier and two cats.
    2. The Pinterest Challenge several months ago.
    3. I follow via google reader, so whenever you post.
    4-5) I actually like the background… :-) I love the gardening updates!
    6. I work in ministry, consulting youth and young adult ministers in the Methodist church. I ADORE my job and it’s exactly what I want to do and what I’ve wanted to do for about 10 years. (I’m incredibly blessed!) I wish somehow I could do what I do and also be with my son more. Traveling and being away from him is very hard!

It’s wonderful that you love your job! Having just come from a really bad experience with my first job out of college, I know the importance of doing something you love (even if it’s working in oil, like me).

Wesley is such a handsome little man! His wild hair makes me smile :)

PS. Love to my fellow DFW bloggers!!

12. robin @ our semi organic life says:

1. I’m Robin, 27, married, no babies yet. We have a 17 lb trained to do tricks cat though.
    2. I found you blog about 1.5 minutes ago (hi!) from over at YHL. I could gush over them for hours! just ask my husband…
    3. see above. I’m a newbie.
    4.?
    5.?
    6. yikes… a part time worker. that’s not very specific but part time seems like a dream to me.

1. I’m Amanda and I’m 24, originally from the VA Beach area but turned into a true Lynchburg, VA resident. I am married to a hunk (2 years in August!) and our first baby is Dudley, our beagle/daschound and we have a little girl on the way, due in October. I’ll answer the what I do for a living question a little later πŸ˜‰
    2. I think I found you through comments on YHL or Bower Power… or you commented on one of my posts?? I don’t remember lol. But I’m glad I did!
    3. I check-in everyday, usually while at work, but often from home too!4
    4. I love your home improvement projects, because you live on a budget! And I also love your cooking posts, mainly because 9 times out of 10 I feel like I could actually cook it too!
    5. It’s beyond ridiculous… but I can’t figure out which comment box goes with which post. I’m thinking that has more to do with the fact I can barely turn a computer on…
    6. Again… going to have to wait until tomorrow to answer that one, but let’s just say I’m getting to where I would love to be. In a perfect world I would stay at home with R until she is old enough to go to school.

I can’t wait to meet R! :) And I’m so glad you feel like you could make the recipes I post… I never want them to be long or tedious or difficult… what’s the point of cooking if you don’t both enjoy the eating AND the cooking??

Do I sense some sort of announcement coming here??

14. Rebecca says:

1. Rebecca, living in Ohio outside of Cleveland, 25 (almost 26), married for just over a year now, no babes and don’t want fur babies, civil engineer
    2. Found you through your comments on YHL and now just come to read you directly
    3. Couple times a week
    4. I love DIY and crafty posts
    5. Don’t like garden posts because I don’t have one nor am I interested in starting one
    6. I would love to be a stay-at-home mom (once I convince my husband it will work) and sell crafts, or have a bakery, or be a photographer…so I guess I still don’t know!

15. Brandi @ HSHC says:

1.I’m Brandi. I live in West Chester, PA (easiest to say a suburb of Philadelphia, but I don’t think it really is). Not married or engaged, but in a long term relationship. I have 1 dog that’s mine (Bot) and my boyfriend has a dog too. I am a Tax Admin for a very large multinational software company.
    2.I think you found me and commented and I’ve been reading along ever since.
    3.I subscribe in goodle reader and also get posts delivered via email, so I read every post
    4.Love everything you post.
    5.Maybe more about you guys and dogs. I love reading about other peoples’ dogs.
    6.I’d love to move to the beach and own some kind of shop. Don’t know what kind, maybe surf or clothes or trinkets.

16. Leanne@Strewth-Tiger says:

1. I’m Leanne. Originally from Perth, Australia but I currently live just outside of DC. Married with a step son, two crazy cats and a chubby moo-cow dog. I work for an Interior Designer
    2. I’m a couple-a-times-a-week-er…coffee time at work? Time to check in on some favourite blogs!
    3. I actually like everything you post. A little DIY…a dash of cooking. It’s all good!
    4. Nada. I’m a fan of everything :)
    5. Peter Pan! I’ve decided that I’m never going to grow up :)

17. Ali says:

I feel old reading all the other comments!
    Ali, from near Baltimore, MD. 36, married, 2 children (DS in heaven, DD, 8.5) Found you from another blog, couldn’t tell you how now! I stop in every week or so when I am dreaming of my own place (former military family now waiting for the perfect home to buy in the neighborhood in which we live- which is slightly out of our price range and sales are far and few between- so we are STILL waiting…)
    I like everything- good mix!
    School Counselor – I love my job most days, but still dream about traveling the world doing something- missions or just seeing the world through local eyes..

18. Jessica says:

1. Hi! I’m Jessica, 24, another TX transplant (via MN) living in San Antonio now. I live with my long term boyfriend, Joe. No kids or furry ones, but maybe a cat someday… I work at a small software company.
    2. I think YHL? Pinterest challenge maybe?
    3. Pretty much every day while at work, usually over breakfast noms.
    4. All of the DIY, how-tos, crafty stuff. I’m addicted to any before and afters too!
    5. I guess I’m in the anti-background group, haha, but really it’s all good.
    6. Maybe someday I’ll know… Starting a business of some kind, that much I know, but it’s hard to pick just one area to follow. The vacation critic thing sounds pretty great to me! Or maybe I’ll be a rum distiller in a tropical place…

You can distill rum somewhere tropical, then we can come do the travel critic there. :)

I’ve not been to San Antonio yet, but everyone keeps telling me we need to. Maybe we’ll take a weekend trip down there sometime.

19. Ainhoa says:

1. I’m Ainhoa from the Basque Country, 23, engaged, no kids or pets; I’m a PhD student in Economics
    2. I think YHL? Not sure though
    3. Everyday while having breakfast or lunch
    4. I like the mix of DIY/recipes/personal stuff/etc you have!
    5. I like the background, but I’d probably change it’s colors if it were mine
    6. Hmm, I’m not sure! Something creative though

20. Jennifer L says:

1. Jennifer, 27, married, Chicago area, 2 tuxedo brothercats (b&w versions of Fievel), and I’m a web developer. Which, by the way, if you need free CSS help, I’m in your court. I’m also good at explaining it if you want to learn it for yourself. I’m a guru. In fact, it might help me get material for my code blog ( http://blog.neatlysliced.com/ ) so please, ask away!
    2. I think I found you through a YHL comment!
    3. I read all my blogs through Google Reader, so I catch every post pretty much when you post them, or maybe the next day.
    4. I love the cooking posts, and also I like the YHL window shopping style post where you just photograph things you liked when you were in a store. Also, any posts about how you do regular maintenance in your kitchen or whatever else you can think of. Stuff like that would be wild for SEO too.. “How to maintain a butcherblock countertop”. You’ll become a reference with enough stuff like that. You’ve got a good start, so keep on keepin’ on.
    5. Tell us more about why the masonry in the backyard is bad! I still don’t understand!
    6. I really like what I do, but if I had to do something else, I’d love to write reviews, or do catering. I love to cook and don’t have enough time for it as much as I’d really like. Ha maybe I’d actually update my food blog then!

I might take you up on that help! We’re really wanting to do some updating.

We haven’t paid much attention to SEO so far, but it probably would be a good idea to do so! And we’re planning on doing a butcher block post soon! Our counter tops are in dire need of a good oiling!

21. Lindsay says:

1. I’m 27 and live in NY, not the city. Not married but live with the BF and our dog and cat. I’m an environmental engineer at a civil firm.
    2. I think I found you through a link party for one of the Pinterest challenges or through YHL.
    3. I check Google Reader multiple times a day, so I stop in whenever you post.
    4. I think you guys already have a nice mix of recipes, home improvement, and travel posts. I love seeing before and afters, garden posts, and posts about the pets too.
    5. I’m not sure what it is, but when I click over from Google Reader your website takes forever to load and makes Chrome lag. May not be a problem on your end, but that’s my only complaint. :)
    6. I love being an engineer, but I also want to be a Girl Scout leader someday, and I want to be a better cook, a gardener who actually knows what she’s doing, travel to Europe, and ride my bike more.