Leggo My Eggo

Is it just me or does it seem like forever since I shared a recipe (EDIT: It was three weeks ago)? With us being gone on vacation for a week and Kevin traveling for work, I haven’t been cooking much (I eat like a college kid when Kevin’s not here).  Thankfully, we’re both home this week, so I’ve been able to get in the kitchen. And since yesterday was Meatless  Monday, I have a great meatless recipe to share with you that would be easily adaptable to a not-so-meatless version: Eggplant Parmesan.

Eggplant  Parmesan

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes (ish)

Ingredients:

1 small eggplant
1 1/2 c. Panko breading
1 c. flour
1 egg
3/4 c. shredded mozzarella
1/2 c. shredded Parmesan (or more if you’re like us and LOVE Parm)
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 box whole wheat pasta
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
1/2 Tbsp dried thyme
salt
pepper
olive oil

Prep:

1. Wash, peel, and slice your eggplant into about 1/2 inch slices. Preheat your oven to 400 F.
  2. Set up a dredging station with your flour, egg, and panko. Season the flour with salt and pepper and add the thyme and oregano to the panko. I prefer to work front to back and set up my dredging like this (in uber classy tupperware).
  3. Begin by coating the eggplant lightly in flour. This allows the egg to adhere to the eggplant better. Next, transfer to the egg. Once coated, move to the Panko. When you’re done, you should have eggplant that looks a little like this (ignore the yellow photo, I forgot to white balance).
  4. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Don’t use too much olive oil; eggplant is very absorbent and will soak up any excess oil, leaving you with soggy, oily eggplant. Fry until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towel.
  5. Place your golden brown and delicious eggplant in a baking dish. Sprinkle on the Parmesan, then coat with spaghetti sauce. Finally, top with the mozzarella cheese. Bake until the mozzarella is melted and starts to brown, about 15 minutes.
  6. Serve over whole wheat pasta (or eat by itself). Enjoy!

Kev and I couldn’t stay away from this last night and both ended up going back for seconds. It was delicious! The recipe could easily be adapted for chicken parm (you would just pound chicken breasts until about 1/2 inch thick then dredge, fry, and bake like the eggplant).

1. Staci says:

That looks great! In the past I have skipped the breading part and just seared the eggplant on the frying pan. I bet your way helps the finished product set up better and be less “slippery.” I’ll try it your way later this week!

This will definitely help with the “slipperiness.” The breading helps keep the eggplant from absorbing as much oil, so it’s crispy on the outside and nice and tender (without being mushy) on the inside.

2. Christine @ Casa-de-Christine says:

I don’t believe I’ve ever eaten eggplant. It’s on my to try list. I’ll maybe have to give this one a whirl sometime soon! Thanks for sharing!

3. Cape Cod Dreams says:

That looks absolutely delicious! I will have to try that. I am in a cooking rut right now. Probably because we are partially packed to move into our new house,yet still living in our apartment. It is never fun to cook when you are in limbo and highly unorganized, lol. Thank you for sharing the recipe, I will definitely put it on my “to try” list.

4. Katie@Paisley Print Shoes says:

Ok so this comment is totally off topic…but….we started a small garden!! I was wondering how yours is doing….any tomatoes yet? We planted some lettuce in the ground but I think I want to do gutter gardens next year like you guys, so, I can’t wait to hear your analysis on them in the fall. Hope all is well, Jessica!

The garden is doing great! I plan on posting a few pics of it tomorrow. The gutters are finally succumbing to the heat. The delicate lettuce just can’t take 90 degree days.

Good luck with your garden! What did you plant??

PS Kevin will be in MN again next week :)

It’s really easy and super fast. I think the whole meal (clean up included) took about an hour! Let me know if you try it… I don’t actually measure anything- I just estimate how much I used- so if something’s off, let me know!