Let’s Talk Turkey… One Last Time

Thanksgiving may be over, but it’s still November and I’m still thankful for so much! Today, I’m thankful for my family! Kevin and I had such a wonderful long weekend with our parents and we’re so thankful they were able to make the trek to Texas to help us celebrate our first Thanksgiving in the Little House!

***

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend! I know we sure did! The Little House was looking better than ever, the food was delicious, and the company was great! Kevin and I’s parents made the trip from Florida and Indiana (respectively) to help us celebrate our first holiday in the Little House.

By Thursday morning we were all together. We made my first turkey, pies, homemade noodles, dressing, sweet potatoes, cranberry salad and homemade rolls. We’re still eating leftovers.

How was your Thanksgiving? Are you still eating leftovers?

That looks fantastic!! Do you have the recipe for the homemade noodles?? Of all the Thanksgiving goodness those are making me the hungry-est at the moment!!

They’re super easy! In my case the recipe was:

8 cups flour
      8 eggs
      8 teaspoons salt
      16 Tablespoons milk

Mix everything together, then roll it out on the counter, getting it as thin as possible (1/8″ is probably ideal), then roll it up like a cinnamon roll and cut into thin slices (or, if like me you got a pasta machine for a wedding gift, you can use that to make noodles). Coat the noodles liberally with flour and allow to dry on the counter for about half an hour (or pop them into the freezer on a cookie sheet).

Those proportions make enough noodles for about 8 people with leftovers, just for scale. The dough will seem too salty, but it’s not. I cook mine for about 15 minutes in leftover turkey broth.

These noodles are famous in my mom’s restaurant. She makes them every Friday night and the sell out every time!

So glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! The turkey looks like it turned out amazingly! Be sure to post the recipe for the homemade noodles (they look awesome!).

3. Erin @ His and Hers says:

We had 3 dinners in a row (phew) and so you’d think I’d be sick of it…but I’m not. I agree with everyone else–those homemade noodles DO look fantastic!!

ps–you’re welcome to paint something electric blue in your house anyway, despite the fact that I missed the boat about gaining design infamy 😉

Thanks! My mom said they were the best noodles she’s ever eaten (and she makes the best noodles I’ve ever eaten, so the must have been at least okay… either that or my mother was trying to make me feel good. 🙂

4. andrea @ theyellowcottage says:

How are your Ikea countertops holding up? I have one on my kitchen island and an overly juicy strawberry left a little stain (just the container leaking, we still use real cutting boards). Any issues with water or stains? Just curious as we’ve debated replacing our countertops with these wooden ones.

We love them. We have had a stain or two, but some fine grit sandpaper and mineral oil took care of them. The worst is wet paper. It can dry to the top if you leave it (not that we’d ever leave wet paper on the counter or have a messy kitchen at the Little House), but also sands off really easily.

The key to preventing stains is maintenance. They need to be oiled often– thirsty wood drinks up stains. We’ve tried to go with every other month. No need to buy expensive counter oil though. Mineral oil in the drug aisle works great and doesn’t contain any additives (since its meant to be ingested) so its safe to put food on.

• andrea @ theyellowcottage says:

I did apply some special oil stuff just for butcher block – but good to know when we run out we can switch to regular mineral oil. I laid the conditioner on so heavy that it was still greasy the next morning! Have to be careful to not be too heavy handed apparently… I don’t want to lean against it and get grease stains on my clothes. I hadn’t thought of sanding it again after the initial sanding, but thats nice to know I can keep doing that. My poor husband was rubbing at it with a paper towel. =)

Yep! We used 220 grit and that seemed to do the trick. We also sometimes do a very light sanding before oiling. I’ve heard lemon juice can also be used to take up stubborn stains, but I haven’t tried that one yet.

I made them! They were super easy and only cost $0.56 each! The burlap was $2.99 a yard and I already had the black paint. I free handed the letters, but you could use a stencil.

I’m thinking about switching out the “be thankful” for “be merry” and maybe sewing some holly to the corner. You know, if I run out of other projects to work on.